A SYNOPSIS OF THE HMP3 PRESENTATION AT WELCOME WEEK 2016
1. HMP3 is a service—there are no obligations for members, only opportunities.
2. 80% of UCSD students who got into medical school for the past two years were members of HMP3—and now, so are you!
3. Concentrate on your grades this quarter—the quarter system is VERY FAST and you don’t want to spend the rest of your years at UCSD trying to make up for blowing it your first year here.
4. Scan the HMP3 WEEKLY EMAIL each week, so you won’t miss out on important opportunities for pre-health students at UCSD. This email will come to you automatically every week during the quarter, and you can opt out at any time.
5. INTRODUCING HEALTH BEAT: Advising for all the health professions is at HEALTH BEAT—located in the Career Center. You are lucky! This is the first year that advising for the health professions at UCSD is located under one roof! We are very excited to have a team of advisors to help you.
6. Adele will be at HEALTH BEAT on T/W/Th. Jessica and Jered are there 5 days a week. We also have a team of Peer Advisors to help us meet your needs.
7. All of us can advise for Medicine (M.D. and D.O.). Jessica also specializes in Pharmacy, Nursing, Physician Assistant, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Allied Health Professions. Jered also specializes in Dentistry, Optometry and Veterinary Medicine. Adele has been doing this for 25 years, so you can ask her about anything.
8. In the beginning of the school year we will offer small group advising. Individual appointments and walk-ins will be available later in the quarter. You can sign up for advising through Port Triton. Look for instructions in the HMP3 Weekly Email.
9. Before you come in for advising, please go over the http://prehealth.ucsd.edu website for information about prerequisites for all the health professions, application timelines and FAQ’s. This will make the best use of your time with your advisor.
10. INTRODUCING HMP3: We have a terrific board of students who put on great programs for you. Many of the board members are looking for sub-committee members to help them. Meet them and see what sub-committees you might like to apply to serve on at http://hmp3.ucsd.edu/board.html. Apply for a position on a subcommittee at our website: http://hmp3.ucsd.edu.
11. While you’re on the website, be sure to check out the RESOURCES section for other volunteer and service opportunities.
12. Watch for the opportunity to sign up to have a PEER MENTOR, if you’re a new freshman or transfer student. You will be matched with an older student who wants to share their experience as a pre-health professional and help to connect you to UCSD and all it has to offer.
13. Transfer students can have a health professional for a mentor by applying to http://hpmp.ucsd.edu. Freshmen need to wait for their sophomore year to take part in this program.
14. ADELE’S ADVICE FOR YOU: Your GPA is very important—but you can major in anything! Choose something you love to study and that interests and excites you—your grades are bound to be higher! Just be sure to complete all of the prerequisites for your chosen health profession.
15. You must have more than just good grades and test scores to get into health professional school, though. You must have lots of experiences to show how you have solidified your choice of a health profession. You must be able to write and talk compellingly about your personal story—your journey to this place of KNOWING this is what you MUST DO with your one precious life.
16. Experiences that can help you get in include: leadership, volunteering, service to those less fortunate, research, exposure to your chosen field, global missions, work, etc.
17. Keep careful records of your experiences and how you felt about them—these will prove invaluable when it comes time to apply.
18. Keep the things you love to do in your life—they are what make you YOU, and will help you stand out from the rest, contributing to the diversity of the class at your professional school—something ALL of the professional schools seek.
19. INTRODUCING THE CO-CURRICULAR TRANSCRIPT: For the first time ever at UCSD you can qualify to be certified as PREMED/PREHEALTH on the co-curricular transcript that will become part of your official transcript. You can find the details here, along with other great information: Prepping for Health Professions & Pre-Health Certified (Co-Curriculuar Record). It can also be found on the http://prehealth.ucsd.edu website.
20. When you meet the certificate requirements you will be a MUCH stronger candidate for health professional school. Finally, you will get a cord to wear at graduation, celebrating your achievement.
THIS IS JUST A QUICK OVERVIEW OF THE TOPICS DISCUSSED MORE FULLY AT THE ORIENTATION. KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE HMP3 WEEKLY EMAIL FOR ADVISING HOURS AND COME IN TO SEE US!
WELCOME TO UCSD!!! We’re so happy you are here!
~Your HEALTH BEAT Team and your HMP3 Student Board